Tuesday, September 11, 2012

DT S-burg, part 2

The internet here at home is being really shoddy, so I haven't been able to get but pieces of this post at a time.  Here's the second bit!

The next part of the assignment was to take a photo with a really large aperture, but I couldn't get anything in focus for anything larger than an f/8 aperture, so that's what this is! It was taken with a 1/60 shutter speed. Most of the others are f/5.6 or less.


It was also suggested that we take photos with long and short focal lengths, but my lens is fixed at 50mm, so the best I could do was a close and a far focal POINT.  Not the same thing, unfortunately.

The last part of the assignment was to choose 5 photos from our shoot that describe our relationship with the city.  Although I grew up in Spartanburg county and I know my way fairly well around the Downtown, I am more familiar with the other parts of town and the suburbs.  So, the city is like a familiar stranger.  My eye is usually caught by more organic things, not city-scapes. But here's what I got that I liked:


I surprised myself when I saw that these two photos were almost the exact same color scheme and composition.


Not sure what these men were cleaning out, but it looked like no fun.


This man looked like he thought I was some crazy artist. Not exactly sure what he was doing with that air canister... But the doors on this building were painted to look like glass doors.

This little gem was on the opposite corner of the (missing) building where I took the black duct photo.

I liked the contrast between the old brick and the new satellite dishes.

This one is a little odd on the white balance, but I haven't played with it yet.

This one, I liked the "white" sky.  It makes this building seem all the more like it's going to fall to the horizontal on my computer screen.


No comments:

Post a Comment