Friday, August 24, 2012

 I managed to decide on my 5 old favorites last night, so I'll go ahead and post them.  All of these were taken with my iPhone because it actually has a better camera in it than my old Sony Cybershot (which also no longer has a flash...).  The zoom on it always makes things grainy though, so most of the ones that turned out well were not taken with the zoom!!

I've always like the division between trees and sky in this one, and the clouds lined up almost perfectly.

This is a tailed blue butterfly on a mimosa leaf.  I had to sneak up on it.

I don't like the lighting in this one, but I love the perspective.  It really exaggerates how big Truly (the horse) is compared to his rider.  She is about 5'4"; he is at least 17hh (=5'8" at the shoulder).

Strange adult "true" bug that was on a pecan tree.  He is just so well camouflaged that he disappears after moving back from the image.  For some reason, I like it that the subject is hard to see.

This was actually just a reference photo for my Comparative Vertebrate Anatomy class, but the space and reflections within the photo turned out so well that it has become a favorite.

Please leave comments/reactions/crits! I'm excited to start taking new photos.

2 comments:

  1. I especially like Truly (the horse) although I will have to agree that the lighting is a bit off. The last one, a cat skeleton? Reminds me of when you came home and Rajah freaked out after your disection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the picture of the butterfly on the green leaves. The split-complementary colors really caught my attention and I like how you can see even the small black specks on the wings.

    Also, your sketches below are awesome!!!:)

    ReplyDelete